Here come the backyard barbeques and summer gatherings along with all that tempting picnic food. No worries, though. You can make healthy choices with a little advance knowledge about what it takes to burn off those favorite party foods. Take this quiz to find out how much you know about the health “cost” of popular picnic items.
1. How long will you have to jog to burn off one cube of cheddar cheese?
- 3 minutes
- 8 minutes
- 15 minutes
2. How long will it take you to walk off a half-cup of macaroni salad?
- 42 minutes
- 73 minutes
- 82 minutes
3. How long will you have to walk to burn off one tablespoon of ranch dip?
- 9 minutes
- 19 minutes
- 27 minutes
4. How long will you have to walk to burn off one hot dog on a roll?
- 22 minutes
- 59 minutes
- 82 minutes
5. How long will you have to ride your bike to burn off one chocolate chip cookie?
- 20 minutes
- 30 minutes
- 38 minutes
1. Correct answer: You would have to jog for 8 minutes to burn off the caloric equivalent of one cube of cheddar. Reaching for the cheese platter? Go for the Swiss cheese over the cheddar, Gouda and blue if you have a choice. A one-inch cube of Swiss has fewer calories, less saturated fat and a lot less sodium than other cheeses commonly found on the buffet table.
2. Correct answer: A half cup of macaroni salad is worth about 73 minutes of walking. When it comes to sides, deviled eggs are the hands-down calorie choice over macaroni salad. One half of a deviled egg averages about 64 calories compared to about a half-cup of macaroni salad (280 calories). The egg is also a big winner in the sodium war at 74 mg compared to about 900 mg of sodium in a serving of macaroni salad. One caveat – if you are watching your cholesterol keep in mind that deviled egg represents about 107 mg of cholesterol compared to only about 30 mg of cholesterol in the mac salad.
3. Correct answer: One tablespoon of ranch dip works out to about 19 minutes of walking. Go for the guacamole over ranch dressing dip and you will save calories, fat and salt. Consider broccoli or celery for dipping - both offer lower calories and saturated fat, and are a good source of calcium.
4. Correct answer: That hot dog on a roll represents enough calories for 82 minutes of walking. Which protein should you grab? Lean toward the roasted chicken thigh before biting into that hot dog with a bun or a veggie or beef burger. A 4-ounce piece of chicken has less sodium, fewer calories and lower fat per serving than its competitors at your nearby party.
5. Correct answer: One chocolate chip cookie works out to roughly 30 minutes of cycling. If you simply must have dessert, consider the humble brownie. Compared to a small slice of cheesecake, one chocolate chip cookie or one vanilla cupcake, a 2-inch square brownie will offer fewer calories, less saturated fat and lower sodium.
Data from CalorieKing.com. Exercise estimates are based on calories burned by a 35-year old woman who is 5’7″ and weighs 144 pounds.